Friday 3 August 2012

DIY softbox

DIY Softbox - Lemon
I've been inspired.

I recently have been reading Scott Kelby's digital photography books and felt inspired to have a crack at some better product photography.

I did some research and decided, on a bit of a whim, to make a soft box for photographing small stuff about the place.  I did it on the cheap and spent some time thinking.  This is what I came up with.  I'm a little surprised at how well it worked; and a little scared about the amount of flash batteries I'm bound to go through now I have one of these.

Ingredients:
1 x cardboard box - $  0.00
4 x mini spring clamps - $ 3.00
1 x 4.5m 100mph tape - $  3.50
1 x can matt white spray paint - $  4.50
1 x outdoor chair cover (opaque clear) - $  3.00
1 x white poster cardboard - $ 2.00
sharp knife
ruler
pencil
1 hour

1. Cut a hole in both sides of the boxes.  I left a 5cm border around the edges to provide some stability and tape the 'diffuser' to.
2. Cut a small hole, the length of the box less 1cm on each side at the very back of the top of the box (roof).
3. Spray pain the inside of the box; paying particular attention to the top/roof (with the hole at the back.
4. Tape 'diffuser' to box; making sure it's pulled tightly.  I used two layers; pulling both tight to eliminate wrinkles.
5. When paint is dry, insert cardboard through hole in the roof and use clamps to attach to the top back and front bottom of the box.

Seamless background complete.

Uses off camera flashes, with wireless flash triggers; on either side of the box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment